What does SVR3 have that SVR2 doesn't?

Narayan Mohanram narayan at tandem.UUCP
Sat Mar 19 06:43:40 AEST 1988

In article <1062 at maynard.BSW.COM> campbell at maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) writes:
>I am interested in a _concise_ description (extra points if it fits on one
>screen) of what's new in SVR3 (besides streams -- I've already read the papers
>on that).  The question I'm really trying to answer is, given a choice
>between SVR2 (for perhaps less money) and SVR3, why should I choose SVR3?

There are serveral new features (besides streams and tli).
there are:
	shareable librarires,
	New signal support (signals that stick).
	new C compiler,
	RFS,
	streams support utilities.

I think the shareable libraries is the best part (besides streams). The
disk space taken up by most programs has dropped by about 7K (stdio beleive
it or not).

I don't remember if 5.2 was a swapping system or not. But 5.3 I know is
a paging machine.