Help me before I die again.

Apostle of Zeus edguer at mandrill
Thu Mar 24 13:06:17 AEST 1988

===
The background information
---
Hardware: VAX 11/750, CS21, CDC9762	OS: BSD 4.3
This evening my computer crashed with the error:
	up2c: freeing free inode
The syslog shows that this occurred after a repeated set of errors:
	up2c: hard error sn38696 cn=241 tn=4 sn=9
Upon rebooting, I ran a file system check.  It failed (of course) with:
	can not read: blk 38696
Which of course lead me to post this message since according to
	SMM15-11 "This should never happen.  See a guru."
====
The Problem:
---
I decided to mark the sector as bad using bad144(8).
	bad144 rm03 up2
returned a two page list - 126 entries.  The entries were not in
order, and of course there is only room for 126 entries in the bad
sector list.  Two strikes.
>From speaking with Keith Bostick, it would appear that something
overwrote the bad sector table.  So I decided to simply create a new
one.
According to the bad144(8)
	"The -f option may be used to mark the new bad sectors as 'bad'"
So I tried
	bad144 -f rm03 up2 1752457552 38696
It didn't work.  Instead I received the error message:
	ioctl: no such device
Hrumph.  I tried to create the bad sector table without the -f.
	bad144 rm03 up2 1752457552 38696
This worked fine - the bad sector was written out to sectors
	131648, 131650, 131652, 131654, 131656
However, when I reran fsck /dev/up2c I continued to get
	can not read: blk 38696
and
	up2c: hard error ....
After rereading the manual page I saw
	"Note, however, that bad144 does not arrange for the specified
	 sectors to be marked bad in this case."
I thought simply rebooting the computer would force the system to
reread the bad sector table and mark the sector as bad.
	NOPE
I double checked the table and 38696 was still in the table.
SO, HOW DO I MARK A SECTOR BAD ??????   I cannot find anything to help me.
===
Second question
---
Since bad144 wasn't helping me I thought I would try using badsect so...
	mount up2c /usr2
	mkdir /usr2/BAD
	cd /usr2
	badsect /usr2/BAD 38696
Instead of solving my problem I got back an error message
	block 38696 in non-data area: cannot attach
Any ideas on what that means?
===
My eventual solution was to reformat the disk.

Thanks,
Aydin Edguer			!{cbosdg,decvax,sun}!mandrill!edguer