Guide to writing secure setuid programs?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun Mar 20 11:22:44 AEST 1988

In article <127 at heart-of-gold> jc at heart-of-gold (John M Chambers x7780 1E342) writes:
-> And, of course, the general rule is not to write setuid programs
-> in the first place, but that has been handled by other people.
-One question I have:  To my knowledge, there does not actually exist a way
-to "write a setuid program".

That phrase is just shorthand for "write a program that will have
to have the resulting binary made set-UID to do its job properly".