Origin of 'awk'

David Collier-Brown daveb at geac.UUCP
Sat Mar 12 04:17:02 AEST 1988

In article <2111 at ukecc.engr.uky.edu> wes at engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) writes:
>@AWK!!!@
  Once upon a time I received the following message:

awk: squawk! THUD...

  On my current machine, strings doesn't find it in awk, so
presumably it wasn't in all versions.  In those it was, the message
seemed to indicate an interrupted system call...
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor yunexus utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its