SVR3.0 vs BSD4.3

Ingo Cyliax cyliax at ea.ecn.purdue.edu
Wed Mar 30 07:51:27 AEST 1988

In article <7581 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <12690 at brl-adm.ARPA> rbj at icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>>   From: Doug Gwyn  <gwyn at brl-smoke.arpa>
>>   >   "script" for recording terminal session
>>   "Script" screws up the application running under it sometimes.  It
>>   could be implemented almost trivially with STREAMS.  Somebody should
>>   do so.
>>Interesting. Please elaborate.
>
>Elaborate on what?  The screw-up is that certain operations do not
>work right on ptys.

Yeah, like what "certain operations" don't work right on pty's ? I guess
setting the baudrate probably doesn't make too much sense :-).

By now (Bsd 4.3) everything that needs to work will work on pty's.  If it
didn't, we'd be up the sh*t creek here, because we have several machines
that don't even have any real terminals hooked up. All the connections on
these machines come in from the network through pty's.  Everything people
usually do works fine, vi, curses ... etc.

I also like the way 4.3 handles window changes. The last time I ran
layers with rlogin under Sys V, it didn't work too well ! In general
4.3 deals with tty's alot better than Sys V (with streams or without).

--
/*                              Ingo Cyliax                               *
 * ...!ihnp4!pur-ee!cyliax      ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.         *