Help us defend against VMS!

Bob Kukura rk at lexicon.UUCP
Thu Mar 10 06:14:21 AEST 1988

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.8 of Thu Feb  4 1988 on fear (berkeley-unix)

In article <867 at unmvax.unm.edu> mike at turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I.
Bushnell) writes:

> Now, we all know that Ultrix isn't really UNIX, and that it probably
> should be thrown out the window, but ...

I use Ultrix every day and I didn't know this!  I don't claim to be a
unix.wizard, but I do manage to run an nfs-based network of
Ultrix-running vaxes in addition to my regular software-engineering
tasks.  Why is Ultrix not really UNIX?  It seems, based mainly on what
I read on the net, that Ultrix isn't that different than any other
vendor's attempt at providing a usable product based on Berkeley Unix
that is also somewhat Sys V compatible.  We've never had porting
problems attributable to Ultrix being different than BSD Unix.  My
only regret is that my name and address is on every VMS-system-manager
mailing list, and I have to sort through countless ads for products
designed to fix/hide/extend/replace/improve VMS.

We have been a satisfied DEC Ultrix customer for over three years now,
and, by using the word 'Ultrix' in every sentence of every
conversation with every sales, support, and service representative
from DEC, have managed to avoid any serious discrimination from them.
We have even recently expanded our system in a very cost-effective
manner - by adding Microvax 2000s, each supporting 8 users for about
$10k.

I don't work for DEC - just a satisfied customer.

--
-Bob Kukura		uucp: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!rk
			phone: (617) 891-6790