making a library breaks the code???

Larry McVoy lm at arizona.edu
Tue Mar 1 13:34:03 AEST 1988

Hi.  I'm running on a Vax 8600 (I think), 4.3BSD from Mt. Xinu.  I have
some C code in about 5 files.  Normally I do things like this:

$ cc application.c *.o ../lib/Tlib.a -o application

Eventually "*.o" wil have to go into a library, so I tried this:

$ ar cr stardoto.a `lorder *.o | tsort`
$ ranlib stardoto.a
$ cc application.c stardoto.a ../lib/Tlib.a -o application

and the code breaks.  I'm at a bit of a loss as to why.  I'm hoping that
somebody out there has seen a similar problem and can point me towards
a solution.  Anyone have any ideas?  I did go back and retry the *.o
method of compilation and things still worked....
--

Larry McVoy	lm at arizona.edu or ...!{uwvax,sun}!arizona.edu!lm