RFS vs. NFS

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Sat Mar 26 17:23:26 AEST 1988

Doug Gwyn replying to someone
>>If an NFS server reboots, the clients just waits and then continue on.
>
>Typically an attempt to access a file on a down link causes the process
>to BLOCK at UNINTERRUPTIBLE priority!  I have been quite pissed off at
>this, on more than one occasion.  It's great fun to type "df" and then
>find that you're never going to get any farther...

No doubt I won't be the only person to point out that this is all now
settable in fstab, you can distinguish hard (hang on failure), soft
(error on failure) and intr (allow interrupts), it's become just a
system admin issue (some of those options were not available w/
previous releases so you used to be right, like I said, let's get it
fixed and get on with other things.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University