Help us defend against VMS!

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr.arpa
Tue Mar 1 12:27:25 AEST 1988

	   Is VMS as horrible as I suspect or am I alone an thinking this?

You are not alone.

   Please help shed the light for us!  Please tell us what you think would be
   reasons why you wouldn't buy VMS! (or why you would).  We need the help
   of all you wizards out there.  Any examples you can think of will help!

Tell him to spend some time recruiting CS students. Tell him that if
they run VMS, no one will come to your school. Tell him about the lack
of *real* vendor support, regardless of what they promise. There will
be nothing for the hordes of wizards to do without source code. And
finally, mention the lack of real, modern, compatible networking.

Of course, after you go thru all this, then you'll have to convince
him to run BSD over System V.

At the very least, have him stage a test, in which some VMS and some
UNIX systems are supported. See which one is preferred. At least you'll
be able to salvage the hardware.

	   Thanks for your cooperation and knowledge.  Is VMS that bad??

Not if you enjoy banging your head against the wall.

	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
FOOLED you!  Absorb EGO SHATTERING impulse rays, polyester poltroon!!