Help us defend against VMS! -- DEC perspective

Bob Devine devine at cookie.dec.com
Fri Mar 11 05:24:49 AEST 1988

I wrote:
>   For the future, DEC is behind POSIX.  Not some vendor-specific version
> of Unix that would be closed to others (subtle, aren't I?).

Michael Sullivan replied:
> As opposed to the open VMS standard backed by millions of vendor-types?
> Yeah, I know what you mean.  Next thing you know, DEC will want to change
> VMS without letting everybody in on it!

  Yes, VMS is a proprietary OS; I never said it wasn't.  The
discussion is on the future direction of Unix.  Should it be an
open standard or should it be controlled by AT&T?

  As we get closer to final approval of the Posix standard, AT&T
seems to be regretting letting the Genie out of the profitable bottle.
Each new version of System V has become more onerous, why?  The AT&T
reps to Posix have now voted against final approval, again why?

Bob Devine