Compressing unix disks

Michael J. Young mjy at sdti.UUCP
Sat Mar 12 01:05:00 AEST 1988

In article <3755 at cup.portal.com> Paul_Steven_Mahler at cup.portal.com writes:
>Aim Technology (415) 856-8649 sells a set of utilities that Gene
>Dronick wrote which re-organize discs.

Has anyone used these?  Do they perform in-place reorganization, or do
they work like dcopy?  The biggest headache with dcopy is the requirement
for a second volume.

I typically reorganize my disks whenever they become more than 25-30%
fragmented.  Usually, I just do a mkfs and restore after a normal
weekly backup.  It's not quite as good as dcopy, but it's close enough,
and still results in a big throughput improvement.
--
Mike Young - Software Development Technologies, Inc., Sudbury MA 01776
UUCP     : {decvax,harvard,linus,mit-eddie}!necntc!necis!mrst!sdti!mjy