Compressing unix disks

Brandon Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Wed Mar 16 08:09:20 AEST 1988

As quoted from <305 at marconi.SW.MCC.COM> by knutson at marconi.SW.MCC.COM (Jim Knutson):
+---------------
| Dump and restore always worked well in the past for defragmenting a disk.
| The real question is why you would want to do this on a BSD system
| (assuming it is 4.2 or greater).  For AT&T System X, try your favorite
| method of backup and restore (cpio I suppose).

Under System V, the way to do it is dcopy:  it defragments the disk, spreads
free blocks evenly over the disk to slow the effect of further fragmentation,
sorts directories to place subdirectories first and thereby speed pathname
accesses, etc.
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
       {well!hoptoad,uunet!hnsurg3,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery