RFS vs. NFS

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun Mar 27 00:59:46 AEST 1988

In article <3215 at phri.UUCP> roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>> Typically an attempt to access a file on a down link causes the process
>> to BLOCK at UNINTERRUPTIBLE priority!
>	You must be using an oldish version of NFS; I think this is the way
>it worked in SunOS-3.0, with 3.2 and later, ...

Sounds like Sun is working on the problems, which is good.
By the way, my hung "df" occurred on a Gould UTX-32 system,
not on a Sun, although the down fileserver may have been a
Sun (with the system wedging every time I touched the
filesystem, it was hard to tell).  Perhaps one or both of
the workarounds you mentioned was available and the system
administrator had made a mistake.  (Not my system!)