Here's the flame everyone's asking for (was Re: Shared Memory in BSD4.3 is lacking?)

John Myers jgm at K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Tue Mar 1 02:33:10 AEST 1988

In article <43 at kenobi.UUCP> ford at kenobi.UUCP (Mike Ditto) writes:
>In article <2009 at ho95e.ATT.COM> wcs at ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) writes:
[ Justified Missed'em V flaming ]
>On Berkeley Unix, the primary IPC mechanism (the socket) is very
>nicely implemented in a way consistent with the previously existing
>I/O facilities.  In particular, it is accessed in the same way as
>files and other I/O: with a "file" descriptor.

Then why the heck can't you open(2) a BSD unix domain socket?  The
semantics seem pretty obvious. (Create a new socket and connect to
the socket named in the open call.)  Sounds like <10 lines of code to
me.

Something that would be harder, but would still be incredibly useful
would be to automaticly unlink a socket when the (last) process owning
that socket exits.

John G. Myers				John.Myers at k.gp.cs.cmu.edu