Shared Memory in BSD4.3 is lacking?

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr.arpa
Tue Mar 1 04:35:23 AEST 1988

   From: Chris Torek <chris at trantor.umd.EDU>

   Nobody was quite sure how mmap `ought' to work, and it never got
   implemented....

.... in BSD. So those vendors who needed it, SUN and Sequent, implemented
it *differently*. Encore probably has another variation. I have used
both of the SUN and Sequent versions, and am not sure which I prefer.

On the other hand, everyone knows how munmap `ought' to work :-)

   System V shared memory is wrong.

Nice to know. I had always suspected as much. I think it will take
more than Bill Joy to fix System V.

   In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Computer Science, +1 301 454 7163
   (hiding out on trantor.umd.edu until mimsy is reassembled in its new home)
   Domain: chris at mimsy.umd.edu		Path: not easily reachable

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688