Compressing unix disks

Dave Glowacki daveg at pwcs.StPaul.GOV
Fri Mar 11 09:54:14 AEST 1988

In article <1097 at hubcap.UUCP> hubcap at hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:
>For the benefit of the poster of the original question: BSD 4.2's fast file
>system uses a disk management scheme that keeps disk transfer rates near
>constant over time (not sensitive to fragmentation through use). 4.2 BSD's
>throughput rates are dependent, instead, on the total amount of free space,
>which must not be allowed to drop below a certain threshold.

What is this threshold?

Doing a 'df' shows that the system reserves 10% of each partition, since
the amounts in the used and available columns only add up to 90% of the
total blocks in each partition.  My boss maintains that 10% of the
AVAILABLE blocks must be kept free, leaving us with only about 81% of the
total disk space.  I think that the system's already got the space it needs.

Could someone PLEASE tell me I'm right, so we can get back all that wasted
space?  (9% of 3 Fuji Eagles)
--
Dave Glowacki           daveg at pwcs.StPaul.GOV         ...!amdahl!ems!pwcs!daveg
                   Disclaimer: Society's to blame.