Help us defend against VMS!

Rogue Barbarian mcginnis at uop.edu
Sat Mar 5 07:41:48 AEST 1988

In article <5586 at elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, david at elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) writes:
> In article <68 at musky2.MUSKINGUM.EDU>, terrell at musky2.MUSKINGUM.EDU (Roger Terrell) writes:
> > VMS ADVANTAGES:
> >    - VMS documentation blows UNIX documentation out of the water
>
> Huh?!  VMS is VERY poorly documented if you want to do anything non-trivial.
> They tend to only cover the obvious cases, and leave you to guess at the
> complex cases.  All sorts of things are hidden or undocumented.

  The last job I had, at a Sililcon Valley Company, before I returned
to school we used only VAX and VMS and I found that the VMS
documentation was very inadequate for the needs of even a substandard
programmer.  There was no documentation on any higher system functions
or programming.  I prefer a UNIX enviorment and will, hopefully, not
use VMS ever again.  I'd rather use Ultrix.

Richard W. McGinnis, Jr. (The Rogue Barbarian)  UOP Gamemaster
UUCP:{ucbvax, ucdavis, lll-crg, ptsfa!cogent,
VMS   Just say no..!!		  cepu!retix}!uop.edu!mcginnis or gamemaster
Who would want my opinions?        /earth is 98% full...rm -fr anyone you can.