HP-UX Plug

Bo Thide irf at kuling.UUCP
Fri Mar 25 16:32:57 AEST 1988

In article <4760011 at hpirs.HP.COM> wk at hpirs.HP.COM (Wayne Krone) writes:
>features and a set of standard (X/Open, ANSI, etc.) features.  HP, AT&T
>and others are devoting significant resources to the task of making
>many of the proprietary features part of standards which we can all
>then support in our implementations.  Through X/Open and /usr/group
>internationalization efforts, quite a lot of progress has been made in
>the area of supporting Western-European based languages.  We are just
>beginning to address the needs of Asian languages (see, for example,
>the multibyte support in the latest ANSI-C draft).

There is one major problem with HPs own NLS and the X/Open standard:
X/Open defines the ISO 8859 character set(s) as the 8-bit ASCII
characters for European languages whereas HP has chosen their
own propietary sets (ROMAN8, TURKISH8 etc..) and this is causing
A LOT of problems when you want to implement NLS in Swedish (and
Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, German ...)!  It's a pity that such
a great system like NLS on HPs can only be used together with HPs
own printers, terminals etc.  Reportedly VT200s nowadays have
ISO 8859-1 characters as an option.  Our secretaries don't like
this confusion (neither do they like the idea that you have to
hit two keys to get an umlaut-o, that is, an o with two dots on
top, on HP terminals).  Fortunately, there might be a way out
of this impasse: the xkeymap facility in X Windows.

We use X Windows, UNIX editors and TeX with previers for producing
scientific report and articles.