VMS is not the evil empire

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Mon Mar 14 10:53:17 AEST 1988

In article <3352 at briar.Philips.Com>, rob at philabs.Philips.Com (Rob Robertson) writes:
> In article <20469 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
> >This has been known for years as the "We can't fix it because it runs
> >Unix(Ultrix)" DEC field service standard excuse #1.
>
> my experience with their hardware field service personnel has been
> excellent. [..]

I have to agree with rob.  I run 6 unix systems, two of them 11/780s with a DEC
maintenance contract, and i can always count on dec field service, in spite of
the fact that we run at&t unix; not even ultrix.  The other vendors have given
me much less than satisfactory performance in a number of cases.  This doesn't
mean that i like VMS, quite the contrary, i much prefer unix, but the DEC field
service *WE* have around here doesn't offer "DEC field service standard excuse
#1".  They break their collective butts keeping my hardware up and running and
I really appreciate it!
--
Derek Terveer	det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG	uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det