The origin of 'KERMIT' (Was Re: Origin of 'awk')

Mark Williams miw at uqcspe.OZ
Mon Mar 21 16:54:15 AEST 1988

In article <2314 at bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>Sure, and I suppose you'll tell us next that Kermit stands for
>Kilobaud-rate ERror-free Microcomputer Information Transfer.

Quote from:  _KERMIT:_Users_Guide_and_Secification_
            by Bill Catchings and Frank da Cruz
            Columbia University Centre for Computing Activities

                   - No Rights Reserved -

"Kermit is a set of programs that implement the "Kl 10 Error-free
 Reciprocal Microcomputer Interchange over Tty-lines" protocol.

	(However I saw in a later manual somewhere that the name KERMIT
is used with permission of Henson and Associates.)

>Guvf vf zber sha vs V yrnir bhg gur fzvyrl snpr.

:-)

Mark Williams        Arpa:  ccwilliams%wombat.decnet.uq.oz at uunet.uu.net
--
DISCLAIMER: Whenever I tell them my opinions they fall asleep.

Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious creature on earth.