SVR3.0 vs BSD4.3

Robert Elz kre at munnari.oz
Thu Mar 24 21:19:41 AEST 1988

In article <7514 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> >   job control (stop/restart jobs, get status of jobs and know
> >                one is stopped for tty input)
>
> As I mentioned, the System V equivalent is "shell layers",

Doug, you know better than that, shl is at attempt at windows for asr33's
and as such has some advantages and some disadvantages over the bsd use
of job control to attempt to force windows onto asr33's and lookalikes.

But that's not job control.  Job control is when I notice that /foobar
is 98% full, and some cretin has a job running that's half way through
extracting 160Mb from a tar tape .. "kill -STOP <pid>" is job control.
(Then "kill -CONT <pid>" later if I can manage to scavenge enough space
to allow the tar to continue.  Nb: it matters little if the cretin is
me or not in these circumstances).

> >   long filenames
>
> This is tied to the disk filesystem format,

Well, kind of, filenames are tied to the directory format, which has
nothing to do with the rest of the filesystem format (after all,
directories are just files, in both systems).

> >   support for multiple command interpreters with #! as first line of script
>
> This is totally unnecessary;

This is so much drivel its not even worth commenting on.

kre