Help us defend against VMS!

Mike A. Gigante mg at cidam.rmit.oz
Tue Mar 8 08:30:35 AEST 1988

In article <695 at unm-la.UUCP>, jay at unm-la.UUCP (Jay Plett) writes:
> [ graph deleted]
>       DEC's commitment to 2 operating systems, expressed as R&D budget,
>       as sales effort, or in terms of just about any other parameter
>
> (The "50% in 1988" and the parameters cited are from statements
> attributed to Ken Olson in a recent Digital Review.  The shape of
> the curve is pure guesswork).
>
> Anybody prognosticators want to extrapolate?
> --
> 	Jay Plett

All this reminds me of the "unfailing committment (by DEC) to the continuation
and development of its 36 bit family (Dec10, Dec20)"  inspite of the evidence
to the contrary.

Not long after that statement, the replacement for the Dec10 (was it called
Venus? Jupitor? some planet anyhow) was cancelled at rather short notice.

I remember it well as we were replacing our aging KI10, the specs were written
around DEC's data, then at the very last minute (i.e. just as we were to place
the order), they cancelled the whole damn thing.

At the time it was a real blow. (At my previous employer, not RMIT)

Mike