Compressing unix disks

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr.arpa
Wed Mar 16 06:43:27 AEST 1988

   You're right, the boss is wrong, you can have your 10% back, the
   enforced 10% should cover it.

In fact, as root, you can allocate 111%. This is a good thing to do
with system sources, documents, and manual pages. In fact, I loaded
the distribution tapes verbatim into a couple of overloaded partitions,
and symlinked them to the real /usr/whatever where appropriate. It
really cuts down on the size of your operational system. Dumps get
smaller too.

   Of course you should be
   ready with an explanation as to where the space came from; `I
   rolled some old files off to tape' should suffice :-) .

How about, `Gee, boss, I compressed all your files' :-)

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688