real bsd (was Re: UUCP over SunLink X.25, unbundled products)

Scott Schwartz schwartz at gondor.cs.psu.edu
Thu May 5 05:41:19 AEST 1988

In article <44300 at beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick at seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>A non-trivial number of customers are surprised when they find things like
>that are not supported. Especially those who also have a "real" BSD system.
>
>Some of the vendors rationalize it by saying that they are 4.2BSD compatible.
>(including all of the 4.2bsd bugs in some cases).

Are we still talking about Sun? :-)

On one occasion, I noticed that vi couldn't handle fullscreen
shelltools with small fonts.  It's buffer was too small.  Sun tech
support told me that they didn't want to make the buffer bigger in
order to maintain compatability with Berkeley!

Let's not even mention subnetting.

-- Scott "desperately seeking 4.0" Schwartz

-- Scott Schwartz     schwartz at gondor.cs.psu.edu    schwartz at psuvaxg.bitnet