grep replacement

Jim Shankland jas at rain.rtech.UUCP
Sat May 28 02:07:16 AEST 1988

In article <2978 at ihlpe.ATT.COM> dcon at ihlpe.UUCP (David Connet) writes:
>In article <6866 at elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> alan at cogswell.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Alan S. Mazer) writes:
>>One thing I would _love_ is to be able to find the context of what I've
>>found, for example, to find the two (n?) surrounding lines....
>
>Also, what line number it was found on.

You've already got the line number with the "-n" option.  Note that that makes
it easy to write a little wrapper script that gives you context grep.
Whether that's preferable to adding the context option to grep is, I suppose,
debatable; but I can already see the USENIX paper:

	"newgrep -[whatever] Considered Harmful"

Jim Shankland
  ..!ihnp4!cpsc6a!\
               sun!rtech!jas
 ..!ucbvax!mtxinu!/