rcp failure due to echo

Dan Smith, not your average Lithuanian... daniel at unicom.UUCP
Mon May 16 09:54:43 AEST 1988

In article <17181 at cornell.UUCP> parmelee at wayback.cs.cornell.edu (Larry Parmelee) writes:
>In article <511 at edsews.EDS.COM> roberts at edsews.EDS.COM (Ted Roberts) writes:
>> 				..... I was using rcp from an HP 319 (one of
>> the 9000 series) and the command was failing miserably.  I should note that
>> when I run my .cshrc I echo out a "This is the .cshrc executing message"
>
>Speaking from a 4.3 BSD background,
>Your .cshrc shouldn't print anything.  (Another thing your .cshrc shouldn't
>do is commands like stty, tset, mesg, biff..... but that's another subject).

	Almost. If your .cshrc has these few lines up at the top *before*
you have lines that echo anything, you should be alright. I ran into this
problem on Suns, and this fixed it. It just asks the question: "hey! is
this an interactive shell?"

if (! $?prompt) then
	exit (0)
endif

	* another subject, related to rcp *

	I have a problem with rcp/NFS. It involves 3 Suns: island, jamaica,
and ceylon. island and ceylon are servers, and jamaica is my 3/50 mounted
on ceylon. I tried copying a 5 meg tar file island->jamaica, and the file
got corrupted.  (ceylon was pretty loaded at the time)...so, I rlogin'ed
to ceylon and rcp'ed the same file island->ceylon (and ceylon was just as
loaded, if not more so), and everything was fine. My theory is that a
message saying "NFS server ceylon not responding" issued from jamaica
during the first copy in some way interfered with rcp. Any comments?
Oh yes... island is running 1.2 (!), and jamaica and ceylon are running 3.5.

				dan

dan smith, island graphics, marin co, ca, good natured infonaut, hoopy frood
4000 civic center dr., san rafael 94903 | dis: they're My thoughts, Buckwheat!
uucp: {ucbvax!ucbcad,sun}!island!daniel | ph: +1 (415) 491 1000 (W), 332 FAST,
uucp: {pacbell,pixar}!unicom!daniel     | 332 EASY (H)| unix/films/rock/feasts