transparent archiving

Randy Orrison randy at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
Fri May 20 08:10:31 AEST 1988

How would you implement transparent archive retrievals in UNIX*?

I'm thinking of a scheme where files will be stored on tape without
user intervention, and will still appear in the directory where they
were, but when they are accessed, they are moved back from tape to
disk without the user knowing.

My thoughts so far are that a bit (or something) will have to be
added to the inode and the kernel processing will have to be changed,
similar to the way that symbolic links are processed.

Any ideas on what will be needed in the inode?  Am i crazy?

What are good reference books for this sort of thing?  UNIX* (or BSD)
processing of file names (namei?), open(), etc.

Any and all help much appreciated!

	-randy
Randy Orrison, Control Data, Arden Hills, MN		randy at ux.acss.umn.edu
(Anyone got a Unix I can borrow?)   {ihnp4, seismo!rutgers, sun}!umn-cs!randy
Get forgiveness now -- tomorrow you may no longer feel guilty.