transparent archiving

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr.arpa
Sat May 28 12:37:08 AEST 1988

   From: Chris Torek <chris at mimsy.uucp>

   In article <5482 at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> randy at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
   (Randy Orrison) writes:
   >I'm thinking of a scheme where files will be stored on tape without
   >user intervention, and will still appear in the directory where they
   >were, but when they are accessed, they are moved back from tape to
   >disk without the user knowing.

   Actually, I imagine the user will notice:

	   % cat old-file
    {*yawn*  Gosh the machine is slow today...}

They certainly will. EXEC 8 does exactly that, rolling out old files
to tape and rolling them back in when referenced. One of the first
things I learned to do was assign all my files with the nowait option
whenever I logged on. Gee, Chris, think of all the fun you missed :-)

I know of at least one company who makes an NFS file server with real
disks staged and destaged to optical disk. In that case, while the I/O
is certainly slower, at least it's faster than waiting for an operator
to find and mount the tape.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	My name is in /usr/dict/words. Is yours?