Trouble killing processes in SysV/AT

Rick rwb at viusys.UUCP
Mon May 2 21:13:23 AEST 1988

In article <625 at vsi.UUCP> friedl at vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <468 at micropen>, dave at micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
>< In article <3951 at killer.UUCP>, wnp at killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) writes:
>< > Can anyone enlighten me as to what causes a process to become "immortal"
>< > in System VR2,  or Microport UNIX System V/AT, to be more specific?

< much good info on PZERO, sleep(), etc deleted >

>you can write a program that looks this address up in the /unix
>namelist and gives a clue for what the process is waiting.

	I'm not familiar with what's distributed with Microport, but if
'crash' is included, the command "ds address", where "address" is the WCHAN,
or event address, will return the name and offset from the nearest symbol
to that address, hopefully the name of the sleep queue on which the process
is sleeping, e.g. "physio +2".  Of course, this still doesn't allow you to
kill the process; as Steve points out, anything sleeping at a priority less
than (greater than?) PZERO will not be awakened to process a signal.  Only
wakeup() will do that . . .

Rick Butland <rwb at viusys>