Kernel Hacks & Weird Filenames

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.UUCP
Thu May 19 03:37:30 AEST 1988

In article <56 at lazlo.UUCP>, ccs at lazlo.UUCP writes:
> In article <326 at augean.OZ> idall at augean.OZ (Ian Dall) writes:
> :If done in the terminal driver, new stty options could be added to say
> :what characters are to be considered unprintable.

You would also have to provide a reverse mapping (a-la lcase) that let
you do this:

% ls foo*
foo^G^?bar
% rm foo^G^?bar

and have it work right.

> Many things
> would break if you put the stuff in the kernel tty driver, let's leave
> it in the "ls" or "cat" command...

The easy solution is to have this stuff active on line discipline 1 or
something (if your system is already using 1). The best way to do this
in general would be to have a couple of mapping tables (yes, in the tty
driver!) that allowed you to map arbitrary strings. I believe Microport
already does this...

How's this for a fantasy...

% stty -map lcase # clear lcase/ucase default map
% stty map cntrl # set control character map
% stty mapi '^[[K' '^U' # map CEOL to kill on input
% stty mapo '^U' '^M^[[K' # map kill character to CR plus erase line
% stty mapo '^H' '^H ^H' # map erase character to BS-space-BS

I'm sure we can beat the TOPS-20 terminal driver if we REALLY try :->.
--
-- Peter da Silva, Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
-- Phone: 713-274-5180. Remote UUCP: uunet!nuchat!sugar!peter.