ksh incompatabilities with sh?

John Gilmore gnu at hoptoad.uucp
Mon May 23 10:49:22 AEST 1988

> > 	(okay - you could rename ksh to sh)

guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) wrote:
> Well, no, you really can't, not always.  There are supposedly a few real live
> incompatibilities that may break some scripts.

I have heard this too, over the years, and would like real
documentation on what's wrong.  Are there gross bugs in "sh" that ksh
is too polite to perpetuate, but which users depend upon?  It would
seem the best course to fix the ksh to match the sh in all respects,
rename it to /bin/sh, and throw away the old sh.  I thought that was
the original idea; what happened?
--
John Gilmore  {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu        gnu at toad.com
"Use the Source, Luke...."