grep replacement

Matthias Frei frei at rubmez.UUCP
Mon May 30 21:04:42 AEST 1988

> 	Al Aho and I are designing a replacement for grep, egrep and fgrep.
> The question is what flags should it support and what kind of patterns
> should it handle? (Assume the existence of flags to make it compatible
> with grep, egrep and fgrep.)

Hi,
some applications need to divert a file in two parts.
One should contain all lines matching any patterns, the other
one all lines not matching any of the patterns.
So I want following flags:

	- d	divert the file
		"matches" to stdout
		"nomatches" to stderr
	-r	exchange stdout and stderr, if -d is given

Will you post Your new grep to the net ? (I hope so)

Thanks in Advance for a nice new tool

	Matthias Frei

Snail-mail:                    |  E-Mail address:
Microelectronics Center        |                 UUCP  frei at rubmez.uucp
University of Bochum           |                (...uunet!unido!rubmez!frei)
4630 Bochum 1, P.O.-Box 102143 |
West Germany                   |