O'pain Software Foundation: (2) Why is it better than AT&T?

Roger B.A. Klorese rogerk at mips.COM
Sat May 28 03:54:02 AEST 1988

In article <54544 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>>       (Now, AT&T and probably Sun will deny that a SPARC-only
>> 	ABI was ever their intention, but if you believe that, I too have
>> 	a bridge to sell you.)
>Well, I believe it, but then I have the disadvantage of working at Sun and
>being too close to the facts; if you're coming from the outside, you can
>believe or disbelieve all sorts of things without having the facts get in the
>way.

...Or maybe there was some marketing decision they felt was too poisonous for
you techies to hear.  At last year's UNIX Expo in New York, a representative
of Sun Home Office Marketing presented the notion, in a seminar on "Big Iron
on Wall Street", that if the vendors of minisupers would only drop their
proprietary hardware and use SPARC, they'd be able to jump on "the ABI, the
only source of shrink-wrapped UNIX software".  Seems pretty explicit to me.
--
Roger B.A. Klorese                           MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rogerk  25 Burlington Mall Rd, Suite 300