Uses for access time

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Fri May 6 01:31:49 AEST 1988

In article <4054 at mtgzz.UUCP> avr at mtgzz.UUCP (XMRP50000[jcm]-a.v.reed) writes:

>Unfortunately, "access time" is NOT updated when an executable is
>executed. I was once on a system whose very clever administrator wrote a
>demon to archive any file not "accessed" in the last month. He soon
>archived an executable I was exec'ing every day from my .profile.

I tried this on several systems, and it seems that you are correct for
BSD (at least the Ultrix and SunOS versions), but not for SysV (again at
least Xenix and 2B2/300 flavors). I'm glad you pointed this out, since I
do just what you mention on my machine (SysV).
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)