ksh incompatabilities with sh?

Scott Hazen Mueller scott at zorch.UU.NET
Tue May 24 13:10:37 AEST 1988

In article <54188 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>All I know is that somebody tried doing exactly that (replacing "/bin/sh" with
>the Korn shell) on a system with an S5R2 or later Bourne shell, and found that
>a lot of his shell scripts broke.

When David Korn spoke at the SVNet meeting last month, the question
of compatibility came up briefly (very!).  The one item that I specifically
recall is the venerable ^ when used as a synonym for |.  Supposedly an
early version of /etc/shutdown for System V used ^ as a pipe...

I wouldn't base any purchasing decisions on this recollection...
--
Scott Hazen Mueller   scott at zorch.UU.NET
(408) 245-9461        (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott