tset (BSD?)

Bill.Stewart.<ho95c> wcs at skep2.ATT.COM
Wed May 4 14:51:44 AEST 1988

In article <4493 at hoptoad.uucp> gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
:Maybe with streams tty drivers even we binary customers will be able
:to write a little module that will support a second erase character
:and push it onto the stream...until we finish GNU and have full source.

One feature I've wished was available in a TTY driver is the ability to
specify a bunch of characters (e.g. control characters), and tell it
to "read until N input characters or a special character".  This would
make it much easier to do form and menu applications efficiently.
Streams provides one way to do it, but it would be nicer to keep it
down in the I/O hardware if possible.  You couldn't do it on the old
4K RAM KMC-11's , but most modern RS232 boards have 64K storage or more.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs