OSF, and why it is a side issue

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Mon May 30 03:39:40 AEST 1988

In article <1988May29.014006.4964 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp
(Henry Spencer) writes:
>... the real problem:  the steady degeneration of a clean, powerful
>system into a huge, complex, warty mess.

Can *you* say `entropy'?     :-)

I think it might be helpful to note that V6 had its warts, and V7 had a
few, and no doubt V8 and V9 have their share.  The important thing is
that the warts in V6 were excised in V7, having been replaced by
something cleaner.  The battle cry of `compatibility' (which Henry
himself has raised against some of the things Berkeley has done) serves
to hinder the replacement or removal of misfeatures.

`Gratuitous incompatiblity' is a different issue, but Henry and I
often disagree as to what is `gratuitous'.