When did paging get into System V (was Swap)

Peyton Yanchurak pwy at pyuxe.UUCP
Mon May 9 11:35:26 AEST 1988

In article <142700033 at occrsh.ATT.COM>, rjd at occrsh.ATT.COM writes:

> ::>
> ::>      Does anyone know of a way to figure out how much swap space is in
> ::> use under System V?  I added the sticky bit to my shells and vi.  Now I
> ::On System V Release 2 Version 2 (paging) and later releases, the
> ::sar command has the -r option.  It tell how much memory and also
> ::how much swap space is currently available.  It gives
> ::you a history of free memory and swap space.
> ::
> ::				Peyton Yanchurak
> Peyton,
>   Sorry, Unix System V release 2 is swapping.  Release 3 is paging....
>
> Randy

Sorry, although System V Release 3 and its derivatives are paging
releases, paging first appeared in a System V Release with System V
Release 2 Version 2 for the VAX at about December of 1984.
Shortly thereafter a provisional paging release for  the 3B20
came out (System V Release 2 Version 4).
The official paging Release for the 3B20 (System V Release 2.1 Version 3)
came out at about December of 1985.   Also at the year end of
1985 time frame, System V Release 2.1 for the 3B2  (also a paging
release) came out.

The content of pre 1985 releases of System V are confusing because
the same version numbers on the VAX and 3B20 hardware had different
meanings. As and example, System V Release 2 Version 2 for the 3B20
was a swaping release (this release had new diagnostics and I believe
support for  a floating point accelerator); there was no counterpart
for  the VAX.  Also System V Release 2.0 Version 3 for the 3B20
added support for 3b20 specific hardware features.

					Peyton Yanchurak