Reading VAX SID register on ultrix or 4.3bsd

Brandon Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Wed May 4 06:59:16 AEST 1988

As quoted from <13091 at brl-adm.ARPA> by rbj at icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim):
+---------------
| Um, maybe I wasn't clear (won't be the first (or the last) time :-).
| What I meant Chris meant is that he didn't want a separate syscall for
| *each* interesting variable. He effectively wants (how do those words
| taste that I'm putting in your mouth, Chris :-) to make nlist a system
| call. How many things do you point nlist at besides the kernel anyway?

Xenix has /dev/sys/*.  It doesn't even require nlist:  open the pseudodevice
in /dev/sys for what you want; /dev/sys/proc "contains" only used process
table entries, etc.  (Now if only Microshaft had provided *all* such devices:
no /dev/sys/file or /dev/sys/inode, etc.)  The devices are read-only for all,
thus allowing "ps" to be non-set?id.
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
	{well!hoptoad,uunet!marque,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery