Unbundling (was: Open Software Foundation)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Tue May 31 06:09:10 AEST 1988

In article <15812 at uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> esj at beach.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) writes:
>Yet, this "unbundling" of UNIX software did start with ATT. Why has Sun
>continued it? I sure would like to see anything sold as UNIX by any vendor be
>compatible with the V7 manuals AT THE USERS COMMAND LEVEL. (I.E.  chapter 1)

I don't know what V7 has to do with anything, but the main reason for
bundling "UNIX software" into separate packages is that small systems
simply don't have room enough for all the software that might reasonably
be considered "UNIX software", e.g. DWB, WWB, DMD, network utilities,
software development facilities, etc.  Thus instead of simply specifying
"UNIX", you need to specify what packages you actually need.