Open Software Foundation

Bruce G. Barnett barnett at vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com
Tue May 31 23:19:07 AEST 1988

In article <54849 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:

|I don't know why we unbundled our compilers,
|except that it's not because AT&T unbundled "nroff"....

As I heard it, one of the reasons was that Sun wanted to better
understand the needs of the customers. When all of the compilers are
bundled (i.e. 'free'), they had no way to measure how 'popular'
the compiler was.

As an extreme example :-), suppose no-one EVER used Pascal on a Sun-4.
How much money should Sun spend to support the compiler?

By unbundling the compilers, they can measure the 'popularity' of
the package.

Or else thay just wanted to create more paperwork :-)
--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett at ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett at steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett