Should ``csh'' be part of the System V distribution?

Sean Fagan sef at csun.UUCP
Tue May 17 04:27:10 AEST 1988

In article <77 at denali.stanford.edu> karish at denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>In article <2601 at usceast.UUCP> still at cs.scarolina.edu (Bert Still) writes:
>>[says that we all want csh]

>>Incidentally, as far as I know, no one
>>uses the Korn shell.
>How many of your systems have ksh installed?

Good point.  *I* prefer ksh, under SysV.  I also have access to a system
which has csh (no ksh, alas), and decided that I definitely do prefer ksh
under SysV than csh.  I haven't had a chance to play with ksh under BSD, so
I can't say anything about that.

>The only thing I
>miss is the '!$' construct; I suspect that there's a way to do this
>under ksh, but I haven't found it yet.

For your information, try '$_'.  At least in my version, it is the last word
of the previous (command only?) line.  Both vi mode and emacs mode will
allow ESC-_ to do the expansion (although vi mode may require you to go back
into insert mode).

>[says lots of good things about ksh]

I agree.  ksh is my shell of choice.  Anybody know how well it works on
job-control systems?

--
Sean Fagan  (818) 885-2790   uucp:   {ihnp4,hplabs,psivax}!csun!sef
CSUN Computer Center         BITNET: 1GTLSEF at CALSTATE