A Real simple question on SCCS - maintaining 2 version of the source code.

Rit Chiang chiang at m2c.ORG
Tue May 17 00:40:37 AEST 1988

My simple question is in this scenario:

Let's assume:

If I have a file with version 31.1, 31.2, 31.3 and I promote 31.3 to 39.1.
Now, if I want to make a new version of 31.4 out of 31.3 and I do not want to
affect the version 39.1.  How would I do it without maintaining a branch ?

1) How would I generate a version 31.4 with the current sccs commands?

My solution: Take the version 31.3 out for editing, change the p.file
             to reflect the next major version (i.e. 31.4), edit the file
	     and put back into SCCS.  Because of the change in the SCCS/p.file,
	     when the delta command is applied, the version 31.4 would be put in.
	     The version 39.1 would still be the same version as 31.3.
	     This seems to work OK with the test file I am trying out.
	     Does anyone see any problems ?  Is there a better solution?

2) Does SCCS provide you the capability to maintain 2 independent set of
   source code development.  I.E.  Does it allow you to continue maintaining
   the version 31.X tree and the version 39.X tree at the same time without
   using branches ?  The older version 31.X could be an older release where bug
   fixes are still necessary and the 39.X could be the newer release where
   development continues.

Thanks for your response.

Rit Chiang
Massachusetts Microelectronics Center