Benchmarks of 68020's vs Vax's

mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue May 31 01:01:00 AEST 1988

>  1) Vax 11/780, 8Mb memory, VMS V4.6, VAX-C V2.4
>  2) MicroVax, 9Mb memory, Ultrix V2.0, Unix PCC compiler
>  3) Sun 3/60, 20Mhz 68020, 8 Mb memory, SUNOS V3.4

I think that this is a meaningless comparison, for the purpose proposed:
testing which system had more multitasking overhead. One has no
idea how the three different compilers arrange to use memory and io.
Unless there is a test of the output of the compilers, one doesn't know
how much work they did optimizing . Presumably if one wants to test
the multitasking abilities, what is needed is a program (or,
preferably, suite of programs) which does varying amounts of io vs.
cpu calculation.

Doug McDonald