rcp failure due to echo

Ted Roberts roberts at edsews.EDS.COM
Fri May 13 04:33:36 AEST 1988

Recently I came across a curious problem and though we determined the cause,
I still don't know WHY it happened.  I was using rcp from an HP 319 (one of
the 9000 series) and the command was failing miserably.  I should note that
when I run my .cshrc I echo out a "This is the .cshrc executing message"
(probably lights are already going on over somebody's head out there 8-).
Anyway, when I did an rcp, all I got was the first echo line of my .cshrc
sent to stdout (even if I had two echo lines in the file, I only got one
as output).  There was no error message and no file copied.  When the echoes
were removed from the file, everything worked fine.  Since I don't know
quite how the rcp command is written, I'm still unsure as to what actually
caused my downfall.  Anybody have any ideas?  Please email since I don't
read this category very often.

--
Ted Roberts                         |  My opinions are not necessarily those
EDS Technical Services Division     |  of my employer.  Does that mean I'm