NFS block number ordering: how to change?

David Robinson david at elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
Fri May 20 08:46:53 AEST 1988

In article <423 at cloud9.UUCP>, bob at cloud9.UUCP (Bob Toxen) writes:
> We have a Sun running the NFS client side (a kernel implementation).
> When we try to read a file off of the remote system it doesn't request
> blocks 0, 1, 2, 3, ...  Instead it "sorts" them according to the
> disk interlace factor so it actually requests 0, 10, 20, 1, 11, 21, etc.
> I'm sure it's easy to fix this.  I just don't know how?  Could someone
> email me the answer?

What is happening is that the NFS client is attempting to "read-ahead"
the next blocks.  This is done by the "biod"'s.  If you want strictly
increasing from 1 just kill off all of the biod's.  In some cases, this
will actually speed up read speeds with some servers.

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david at csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david at elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA