O'pain Software Foundation: (3) relationship to GNU & openness

George W. Leach reggie at pdn.UUCP
Wed May 25 23:21:27 AEST 1988

In article <3c3fdf1b.4bee at apollo.uucp> gallen at gallen.UUCP (Gary Allen) writes:

>The HUGE majority of application software DOES run on proprietary OS's, or
>are you unaware that VMS outsells UNIX on VAXen 15 or so to 1?

   Ah, but how many VAX sales have been lost to DEC due to other competition
in the marketplace who only depend upon UNIX?   Are you aware that UNIX
outsells VMS on just about everything else :-)

>Are you unaware that MS-DOS (PC-DOS if you prefer) is proprietary, the most
>common OS on earth, the most portable, and probably also the worst?
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   Excuse me?  Want to talk about reality pal.  Just take a good look at what
you said and *think* about it.

>The whole market? REALITY dude, REALITY. These 7 companies ARE the vast
>majority of the market. Obsolete IBM, DEC, HP, etc.

    Well then if they are the "vast majority of the market" and the "HUGE
majority of application software DOES run on proprietary OS's", then why should
they worry themselves about UNIX????????

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207