Kernel Hacks & Weird Filenames

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.UUCP
Thu May 12 14:17:40 AEST 1988

In article <52768 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>> Does that mean that a naive user can make a file with a <SPACE>
>> in the name?
>Yup.  As I presume you mean to imply, those names would be considered quite
>valid by some users.  Many such users won't necessarily be using the
>traditional UNIX shells, so it might not be at all inconvenient to use names
>containing spaces.

Users with a "point-and-click" interface wouldn't be bothered at all by
that.  Never mind that it breaks a lot of the administrators file management
shell scripts...
Off the subject, but an interesting side effect I have noticed of the
point-and-click type interface is that users tend to use longer filenames
and more mixed-case names.  Being harder to type is not a real disadvantage
since the name is only typed when the file is created.  Very interesting
things happen when you try to put directories full of long mixed-case
names into an MSDOS network-server environment.

  Les Mikesell