UNIX performance on a VAX & 68020

Greg Franks greg at xios.XIOS.UUCP
Tue May 31 22:43:49 AEST 1988

In article <1273 at ark.cs.vu.nl> polder at cs.vu.nl (Paul Polderman) writes:
>Benchmarks show that a 68020 is at least as fast as a VAX-11.
>But if I start e.g. 6 C-compilers on a UNIX-system running on a 68020,
>the performance collapses completely (even when no swapping is necessary),
>where on a VAX the system-performance stays reasonable.
>I wonder why this is so, when the CPU-speeds are roughly the same.

I'll bet that the I/O system has a higher throughput and is a lot faster
on a VAX than on your 68020 system.  Another possibility is context
switching: the VAX may be able to support a higher number of runnable
processes (eg, doesn't have to reload page tables as often etc).

--
Greg Franks                   XIOS Systems Corporation, 1600 Carling Avenue,
utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!greg  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Z 8R8. (613) 725-5411.