A little help with SED please

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.UUCP
Fri May 6 12:42:00 AEST 1988

>From article <762 at pttesac.UUCP>, by robert at pttesac.UUCP (Robert Rodriguez):
> In article <1988Apr26.011145.27914 at lsuc.uucp> dave at lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>>murillo at boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
>>>I need an sed line (or some gory pipeline) to extract the data between
>>>BEGIN and END.
>>[more stuff on "awk" deleted]
> I'm surprised nobody mentioned csplit.  It's perfect for this stuff,
> as the man page says, csplit is a context splitter.
> csplit -s -k foo /BEGIN/+1 /END/-1

There is a very good reason why nobody mentioned csplit: it doesn't do the
job.  The original poster had a file
	junk0
	BEGIN
	data1
	END
	junk1
	junkn
	BEGIN
	datan
	END
	junk
and wanted all the "data" segments.  When the csplit command is corrected
to end with /END/ rather than /END/-1, it will create three files:
    xx00:
	junk0
	BEGIN
    xx01:
	data1
    xx02:
	END
	junk1
	END
	junk
This is not at all what was wanted!  csplit has some rather unpleasant
restrictions, like not being able to create more than 99 (or is it 100?
the manual page is unclear) output files.